Vegetarian Chickpea Salad
The basis for this particular recipe came from a friend and former employer and it’s been one that I’ve cherished knowing. It’s not exactly how he taught me to make it as I’ve tweaked it to our liking but it’s close. Learning new recipes is something I enjoy, especially because I don’t really have any family ones. And this has become something Samaree asks me to make whenever we have the ingredients, and best of all it’s super easy.
- 2 Cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 6oz Pitted Mixed Olives (Preferably Fresh From Deli or Grocery Bar)
- 4oz Feta Cheese (You could also use Fontina, Fontinella or something crumbly that would hold up to oil.)
- 1 to 2 Large Tomatoes Diced (You could also use cherry tomatoes cut in half or quarters.)
- 1 Large Cucumber Diced
- 2tbs to 3tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1tsp Vinegar or Lemon Juice (Vinegar of your choosing.)
- 1tsp Basil
- 1tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Drain and rinse your chickpeas, then place them in a large bowl. Follow this with your olives sliced in half, your diced tomatoes and diced cucumbers. This is when I’d add the salt and pepper and mix everything well, the salt starts to draw out the tomato and cucumber juices which helps with determining how much oil to use. Now you can crumble your feta, or whichever cheese you’ve chosen, and mix again. Add in 2tbs of extra virgin oil to start, the vinegar or lemon juice, and the basil and oregano. Stir everything up really well and taste. If you think it needs more oil, add it, if not than that’s it. You can refrigerate it for 30 minutes if you’d like it cold, or serve at room temperature, it’s really up to you.
You could also add chopped celery, chopped red onion, and diced sweet pepper to add even more to it. And if you’d like some heat red pepper flakes are a great addition.
I do hope you try this recipe as it’s become a long time favorite of ours. Let us know if you do, or have any questions!